Monday, March 30, 2009

Don't hate me but...

I actually get really emotional whenever I hear Miley Cyrus' new song "The Climb." Probably because its exactly how I feel at this point in my life. :)

I can almost see it
That dream I'm dreaming but
There's a voice inside my head sayin,
You'll never reach it,
Every step I'm taking,
Every move I make feels
Lost with no direction
My faith is shaking but I
Got to keep trying
Got to keep my head held high

There's always going to be another mountain
I'm always going to want to make it move
Always going to be an uphill battle,
Sometimes I'm gonna to have to lose,
Ain't about how fast I get there,
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
It's the climb

The struggles I'm facing,
The chances I'm taking
Sometimes might knock me down but
No I'm not breaking
I may not know it
But these are the moments that
I'm going to remember most yeah
Just got to keep going
And I,
I got to be strong
Just keep pushing on, cause

There's always going to be another mountain
I'm always going to want to make it move
Always going to be an uphill battle,
Sometimes I'm gonna to have to lose,
Ain't about how fast I get there,
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
It's the climb (yeah)

There's always going to be another mountain
I'm always going to want to make it move
Always going to be an uphill battle,
Sometimes you going to have to lose,
Ain't about how fast I get there,
Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
It's the climb

4 comments:

ARISTIONO NUGROHO said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Natalie, Jon, Emma, Grace and Seth said...

as much as i want to make fun of the fact that you're listening to miley cyrus...i won't. on the bright side, if you just read the words, they sound good!

MikeO said...

Wow, a great song, I agree. I just watched the video on youtube, very inspiring. Kind of an eastern view - to not focus on the end but the journey. She mentions how these moments will be the one she remembers most; like looking through a future third person perspective, back on the past, which is now, and feeling nostalgia for it. I like to do that too. Because the past in my mind seems to be inherently good and nostalgic, so I can extend this feeling directly to what is happening now. Do you do that too? It allows me to connect to the now as not something new and threatening but rather as a part of what I will later see as what made me, especially what I loved about it. And then I feel compelled to live up to it; to make it as important as it will seem to be in later reflection.

And I suppose this takes focus off of the end too. It emphasizes life as a means to fulfilling what you have already deemed to be valuable and nostalgic. To enjoy life as much as you will imagine that you did, long from now when the ends are mostly done and the journey is over.

It's interesting. Like if we were old, we would either want to go back and do it again, or at least tell or show our pasts selves just how important it all was. But by imagining our future selves doing this, we can give our present self the nostalgia that we will probably have, but for what is happening right now.

Sharon said...

I like your take on it Mike O.-emphasizing the nostalgic part of it. Yeah I do that a lot too. I always end up looking back on times that seemed hard-with fond memories.
I like what you said here in regards to that:

It allows me to connect to the now as not something new and threatening but rather as a part of what I will later see as what made me, especially what I loved about it. And then I feel compelled to live up to it; to make it as important as it will seem to be in later reflection.
And I suppose this takes focus off of the end too. It emphasizes life as a means to fulfilling what you have already deemed to be valuable and nostalgic. To enjoy life as much as you will imagine that you did, long from now when the ends are mostly done and the journey is over.

It's interesting. Like if we were old, we would either want to go back and do it again, or at least tell or show our pasts selves just how important it all was. But by imagining our future selves doing this, we can give our present self the nostalgia that we will probably have, but for what is happening right now."

I never really thought about it like that-but its a really good point. :) Its a good thing to remember for sure.