Wednesday, May 21, 2008

More about my grad...


Ready to take over-um I mean take on-the world...lol


As it says in my title this post is MORE about my grad. Here's the lowdown:
So I woke up early-of course-on Monday to get ready for my grad. I had not had a lot of sleep since I had also had a long weekend. Friday I drove to NH and then that night at 10:00 my brothers and I drove from NH to Worcester MA to watch the new Chronicles of Narnia movie at 11:20pm. My brothers all work at different times and this was the only time we could all go together. And we ended up making it on time! So we got back to NH at around 3:00 am. The next day I went to a tea at my mom's church, and then we drove to Keene to shop around a bit. Then Sunday, I woke up and did some laundry, then drove back to Boston to go to my roommate Diane's grad dinner in Chinatown. It was some good food too! Yummy.


Anyway. So by Monday I was exhausted but I still woke up in time of course and proceded to get ready. I decided to wear my black and white dress-and just hoped the weather would be obliging. Finally I left my apartment around 7:45am. I headed to BC via my usual route-taking the bus up to the BC shuttle. However, it was after a while of standing at the shuttle stop I realized that it was not coming. Luckily, while I was there I met some other grad A&S graduates who were heading there as well. This was important because we were all heading to the same place-all the graduates had to meet in different parts of the school before the procession. And since we were late I figured, well at least they're late too. lol. I actually ended up bumping into these girls a couple times during the day-which was cool, and they were really nice.

Then, finally the University wide ceremony commenced. I already blogged about that a bit. One thing I will add is that it was nice because I actually ended up locating my parents in the stands. During my undergrad ceremony I found my friends, but never found them so I never knew where they were. So that was cool. And my mom even took a pic of me from really far away waving at her. lol.

Can you see me? Waving to my parents...



So after that ceremony I had a half hour to make it over to the Robsham for my individual school ceremony. This of course was a real feat because Alumni Stadium was packed. Then I get there and called my brothers, who of course were lost somewhere in Boston. While I'm on the phone a guy tells me that the ceremony is starting in a minute. Ok great, so I couldnt be of much help. I figured they wouldnt even make it.


Luckily the ceremony was two hours long, with the usual talks and conferring of Ph.D.s at the beginning (which took forever).

Then, it was like all of a sudden the listing of the degree recipients was really starting. I went toward the beginning-and it seemed like all of the rest went by pretty quickly after that.
After the ceremony I was starving and really thirsty so I went out and got some food. This ceremony had refreshments at it. I also went and picked up my diploma-which they had ready for us. I have to say even up to that moment I kept thinking something would go wrong. But it didnt! I got my diploma and its big and beautiful and has my name on it! When I saw Spike Lee at BC he said something funny and that was that he graduated Thank You Lawdy-and I totally feel the same way! I know I couldnt have done it at all without God.

Me and my brothers and my diploma!
Me and my mom and Stephen-and my hood! I love my hood.

Right after I turned in my gown and hat (hat hair). Got to keep my hood and tassle though :)


Continuing on...My brothers (who had made it after all-yay!) were complaining about wanting to leave soon so I was like ok lets take some pictures then we'll go. And of course, they did not want to stick around and wait to get directions to the restaurant we were going to- so Matthew and Stephen left without really knowing where they were going.

Then my mom and my brother and I had a time looking for my parents' car. My dad had to leave my ceremony early because it was standing room only by the time they got there and my dad can't stand for that long-so he was already in the car laying down.

About half hour later we got to the car and started on our way. My little brothers had already been driving around for a time now, since they had left earlier. Of course, I got a call saying they were lost. Unfortunately, while on the phone with them my battery died! And my mom's cell phone was out of minutes so she couldnt call them either! This was really wierd indeed since they had 97 minutes on it and hadnt really talked more than about 15 minutes during my ceremony. Wierd.

So of course we were all worried about them being lost in Boston (hey that rhymes), and so I told my parents I knew where a Shaws was so they could buy a new card for their cell phone. We get to Shaw's, purchase the card, attempt to put minutes on the phone, but OH its not working! After sitting in the parking lot for a while we finally went inside where this really nice guy helped us by calling the company and straightening it out.


So we finally get ahold of my brothers who were worried about us-thinking something had happened to us-and we were worried about them! So I give them directions, except Matt is all the way on the other side of Comm. Ave-really far from where the exit for 95 is-the exit they need to take to get to the restaurant.


So my dad mom and brother and I end up driving to the restaurant-which was pretty easy to find actually. I forced my family to go to the Rainforest Cafe in Burlington-my fave restaurant of course!

The Rainforest Cafe is at the mall in Burlington-so while we were waiting for my brothers to arrive my dad went inside the mall to buy me a charger-which of course wasn't the right one-lol. And since by now it was about 5-6:00 I was STARVING cause I hadnt eaten hardly anything all day but mostly I was tired and had a headache-since I had hardly any caffeine all day either. So I decided to go into the mall to procure a soda.

As Im entering the mall I see this Christmas display in front of me-and it was literally like my brain went bzzzt and shorted out cause I was thinking wait-what month is it? lol. Then I was like oh yeah its May. Then I was like NO they CANT be doing Christmas in the Spring! But then I saw a sign that explained everything-a movie was being filmed there. It said on the sign it was a HappyMadison film so Im pretty sure that its an Adam Sandler movie and its starring Kevin James. So random-to film a movie in Burlington of all places.

The sign telling me-no you're not crazy-they are just filming a movie here.
Right after taking this pic a mall cop told us we weren't allowed to take pics in the mall. WHAT???

The funny thing is, the movie being filmed is about a mall cop-called appropriately- Mall Cop. lol...looks funny. cant wait!


Anyway, so I ended up going to Dunkin Donuts and getting some delicious coffee-nothing compares-and then headed back to the car. My brothers followed soon after.

So, being all together FINALLY we headed into the restaurant where they told us it would only be a ten minute wait. Sweet! However this ten minutes became twenty pretty fast. And we were all STARVING!! We got to play around though in the mean time-and we took a bunch of pics.
Finally we were seated, and ordered. It was funny because my brother Frankie was like ok what happens now is there a show or something? lol. I was like no its just the experience of eating in the Rainforest. Lol. Im not sure they liked it that much, they said it was over the top. I dont think its over the top-I think its fun! But everyone said the food was really good. And Frankie said it was the best burger he had eaten in a long time. So thats nice.
Us in the restaurant-ready to eat!


I made it home to my apartment around 9-10 that night-and I was exhausted! I slept most of the next day and was STILL exhausted! I think it was just coming down from this entire past week where I stayed up all night completing work on two occasions-and then of course there was my weekend. Plus my allergies are really bothering me too. And those make me really tired all the time.


Anyway, it was a loong and crazy day but worth it. Theses aren't all of my pics, but I might post more later. So keep checking back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How could they not like the Rainforest cafe? Maybe they expected too much; if you talk it up they won't get all of the subtle effects of the atmosphere. Your grad sounded fun, I love big events that require the family to drive around and meet in several places and figure things out together. The whole day becomes a mini-world of adventure and excitement. I can't believe your brothers got lost so much. Hopefully they at least had fun driving around. Sorry I couldn't be there for you Z. Maybe next degree